Cardinal Chronicle

Senior takes gap year

Catherine Mouer, Reporter

Senior Jose Vega is delaying college for a year to apostolate with the Regnum Christi Mission Corps (RCMC). He will be stationed in one of 16 missionary locations across the U.S., sharing his faith with school  clubs, youth groups, and camps.

Jose was first introduced to the program by Father Michael Picard.

“I was invited to go to a retreat which was a planning meeting for his summer camps,” Jose said. “I am very grateful because I fell in love with this type of ministry, and after planning it, there was no way I couldn’t go.”

Jose assisted in running the summer camps for two years before deciding to enter their missionary program. Throughout his year with Regnum Christi, Jose will be evangelizing youth around the country and may have the opportunity to attend World Youth Day in Panama.

Members must fundraise at least $7,500 to cover all expenses for the year. Jose said he has found asking for donations to be a learning experience.

“I’m a very awkward person when it comes to receiving,” he said. “Asking for money is very, very difficult for me, but I’ve noticed that a lot of people are very charitable. All you have to do is be passionate about something and open your mouth, even if it’s a little awkward.”

He hopes to gain work experience, working closely with young people.

“I’ve wanted to be a child psychologist for a few years now,” he said. “I will be exposed that type of work because I will be evangelizing mainly the youth.”

Jose believes the camp is beneficial for young Catholics entering the world. “I think that an experience like this is really necessary, especially for people who aren’t sure what they want to do with their lives,” he said. “The experience allows them to grow, not just in their faith, but in general for people who are looking for secular growth.”

To donate to Jose’s mission: https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=6e7259

For information on the Regnum Christi Mission Corps: http://rcmissioncorps.org

The news site of John Paul II High School
Senior takes gap year