Cardinal Chronicle

New courses added to offerings for next year

Pooja Krishna, Editor

Three new courses will be offered next year: AP Art History, AP Computer Science Principles, and Pre-AP Spanish 3 for Heritage Speakers.

“Largely, we were looking for elective courses so the students have more selections to choose from,” Steve Mininger, Dean of Curriculum and Instruction, said.

While other art classes give students a hands on experience, AP Art History analyzes all types of art through cultural, political, historical, and religious views.

Monica Rollino, who will be teaching AP Art History, believes the course is important for all students to study.

“You see a completely different view of the world. It opens up your mind to the beauty of God-given talent such as art, psychology, interpreting artists’ feelings and what he was saying,” Rollino said. “You gain a respect for history and people who are artistic.”

Rollino majored in Art History at Holy Cross.

“I was never really into art until I took art history in college and the professor was awesome,” she said. “He was young and fun and he got the whole class excited and wanting to talk about art. I liked seeing how history plays a part in artists’ art in that time. It’s just fascinating to see what people went through in art.”

With AP Computer Science Principles, students are taken beyond programing and will explore the influences that technology has had on the world.

“This course deals with how computer science is integrated in society,” Leon Schram, who will be teaching the course, said. “For three decades, computer science majors have learned programming, and non-computer science majors have learned applications such as Microsoft Word, digital graphics, computer assistant drafting, web design, desktop publishing, stuff like that. And now we have something new.”

According to the course guide, AP Computer Science Principles is ideal for students who have not yet decided which field they would like to study.

“People today do not really understand how to use computers effectively. Computers are poorly used in medical administration and all kinds of medical fields because the two fields don’t really talk to each other or understand each other,” Schram said. “We are now hoping that future medical professionals will learn enough about computers to see how they can do things better.”

Pre-AP Spanish 3 for Heritage Speakers is geared towards students who might have grown up in a house which speaks Spanish. It will offer those students a unique opportunity to begin their studies of the Spanish language in a manner more tailored to their skill sets.

“It’ll be sort of a blitzkrieg of written skills and grammar, but it’ll be more difficult through more authentic texts and videos,” Clayton Chmiel, who will be teaching the class, said. “I think [this class] is a need for our school. We have a lot of heritage speakers and there’s not really a good place for them to go to.”

Chmiel is most looking forward to having students share their cultures through their own experiences, music, movies, and food.

“I think that in that sense it will a really rich class because there will be a lot of different perspectives,” Chmiel said. “I want them to identify with [their] heritage and claim it as their own, enjoy it, and make it more a part of their lives.

Further information about these courses can be found in the official course guide for the 2016-2017 school year: http://www.johnpauliihs.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Course-Offerings-2016-2017-.pdf

• New courses added to offerings for next year

School News

Senior takes gap year

News

Anna Club supports cancer warriors

Community News

Oldest home in Plano is slated for demolition, and you’ve probably never heard of it

Community News

Christian Service program gets a makeover

• News

New president reflects on first months

News

Junior packs an impact on foster kids

News

Lightning strikes campus

News

New driving laws affect teens

• News

New year, new courses

Arts & Life

Fashion Forward

The news site of John Paul II High School